Serves:8 ( 10X250ml/8floz servings)
Fibre 1.2g, protein 25g, fat 12.5g
WWpoints per serving 5
- 1 chicken, about 2kg/4 1/2lb, rinsed
- 3 litres/5 pints cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 chicken stock cube (preferably Knorr)
1. Place the chicken in the cold water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Skim off any foam that forms on top of the water as the chicken cooks.
2. When the water is boiling add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, which should take about 1 1/2 hours.
3. Leave the liquid to cool, then remove the chicken and strain the stock. Chill the stock in a covered container in the refrigerator; once thoroughly chilled remove the layer of fat that will rise to the top.
4. Use as directed in recipes. The chicken and vegetables may be returned to the stock for a chicken soup meal or you can use the chicken to make Chicken Salat.