- 4 aubergines
- 3og/1oz butter
- 40g/1 1/2oz chopped onion
- 1clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 450g/1 lb minced beef or lamb
- 250ml/8floz prepared tomato sauce or passata
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 30g/1oz Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to i8oÂ°C/35OÂ°F/gas 4.
2. Wash the aubergines but do not peel them. Parboil the whole aubergines in salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove from the water and cut in half lengthways. Spoon ou( the centre pulp carefully and chop, leaving about a 5-mm/1/4-in shell.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add the meat and aubergine pulp and cook, stirring continuously. Brown lightly, then add the tomato sauce or passata, cumin, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook over a low heat until all the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Place the aubergine shells in a lightly oiled roasting tin or large casserole dish and stuff with the meat mixture.
5. Beat the egg, water and lemon juice together and pour over the aubergines. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned.