- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp lemon thyme
- 2 tbsps good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 4 ripe vine tomatoes
- 225g (8oz) young baby spinach or ruby chard
for the dressing
- 150ml (1/4 pint) vegetable stock
- 2 good handfuls fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp cooked chestnuts, peeled and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat a non-stick frying pan or wok. Add the onion and dry-fry for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the thyme and balsamic vinegar and allow to cool.
2 Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
3 Assemble the salad by mixing the tomatoes, spinach and balsamic onions together. Serve the https://www.fewercalories.com/?s=/dressing%20recipe”>dressing separately.