- 1 2.2kg/5 lb chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 125ml/4floz olive oil
- 6og/2 1/2oz butter
- 6og/2 1/2oz chopped onion
- 225g/8oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 185ml/6floz dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8oml/2 1/2floz prepared tomato sauce or passata
- salt to taste
1. In a large frying pan, saute the chicken in the olive oil until light golden brown – this should take about 20 minutes.
2. Melt the butter in a separate frying pan, then add the onion and mushrooms and saute until golden. Add the garlic and cook for 4 more minutes.
3. Spoon the mushrooms, onions and garlic over the chicken and pour on the wine. Add the bay leaves, basil and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes, partially covered, then stir in the tomato sauce or passata and add salt to taste. Cook, uncovered, over a low heat for about 15 more minutes then serve.